ENCOURAGING THE SUSTAINABLE LIFESTYLE
BABY STEPS TO BEING OFF GRID & POLLUTION FREE
- Accept that today, we are spoiled, living inefficient fairly unnatural lifestyles that take a lot of energy intensive conveniences for granted and mean we inhale and gradually digest a lot of toxins.
- Why not build your own home - from scratch? Today's (UK) new build homes are inhuman. Small with no space for kids to run around inside or outside. The windows are tiny, so limiting the amount of sunlight that would otherwise mean less reliance on artificial lighting, a more uplifting less depressing atmosphere and some extra vitamin D. Oh, and a better view. By building your own home, you will not only save a fortune (more than enough to buy a swanky electric vehicle), but have fun and create an abode that is environmentally friendly, brighter inside, naturally temperature regulated and something you will be proud of. R0esearch Earthships for examples of how others do it.
- During colder times, turn down the heating and do as your grandparents did (doing them no harm) - wear warmer clothes indoors, such as a t-shirt + warm long sleeved cotton top below a woollen pullover. LIFEMACHINE encourages wearing of all natural clothing free of plastic byproducts such as Polyester.
- As and when you can afford it, start to collect 150 watt or larger solar panels, 500 watt wind turbines and associated regulators, batteries and inverters. Seek advice from educated human staffed suppliers such as Photonic Universe (UK). Connect the regulator to an inverter and that in turn to power strips to power or charge items you wish to run off grid. Start by charging your laptop(s), tablets(s), mobile phones, LED table lamps and other lower energy devices. If your battery is large enough and your solar/wind generators are capable, then look into powering more energy intensive devices such as the TV and home audio system. Whilst this will be a drop in the ocean to taking your white goods off grid, it is a start and if there is a grid power failure, you now have a backup energy source! (Raise a middle finger to big oil/gas/nuclear too.)
- Consider leasing an EV (Electric Vehicle). The greatest benefits are: No localised pollution. Silent running, so you don't disturb the neighbours at night and can listen to your in car audio system at a lower volume level. Require far less maintenance. Reduced or zero rated road tax and in the UK, no London Congestion Charge. Phenomenal torque and therefore acceleration - great for getting out of the way of a dangerous situation and overtaking tractors on a B road. :)
- Only acquire wooden furniture and toys. Wood doesn't emit harmful chemicals, is long lasting and being biodegradable, can be disposed of naturally. And if the kids chew on their toys - wood is non-toxic!